Traditional kathi roll is made with chunk of mutton or chicken. They are marinated in spices, arranged them on skewers and cooked (process is similar to Punjabi Paneer tikka). These cooked meat is wrapped or rolled into paratha along with sliced onions and sauce. In bengali language skewers are called as ‘kati’. Hence the name is kati roll.
These kati rolls are good as a light meal. I wouldn’t make it as a snack. As it requires different elements and it is quite lengthy process. I usually make as a dinner. 2 or 3 rolls (depending on the size) is enough per person as a meal.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
For chapati or paratha:
Whole wheat flour – 1 cup
Salt – to taste
Oil -2 teaspoons + more for cooking paratha
Water – Little more than ⅓ cup
Potato – 2 small or 1 ½ cup boiled, peeled and cubed
Turmeric powder – ⅛ teaspoon
Red chili powder – ½ teaspoon
Coriander powder – ½ teaspoon
Garam masala – ¼ to ½ teaspoon
Water – 2 tablespoons
Oil – 1 tablespoon
Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
Green chilies – 1, chopped finely
salt – to taste
Cilantro or coriander leaves – 1 tablespoon, finely chopped
Mint leaves – 1 tablespoon, finely chopped, optional
For veg salad mix:Onion – 2-3 tablespoons, thinly sliced
Green pepper – 2-3 tablespoons, sliced
Carrot – 2-3 tablespoons, grated
Cabbage, 2-3 tablespoons, shredded
For Topping:Coriander chutney – ½ cup
Chaat masala – 1 teaspoon
How to Make Aloo kathi roll recipe1) Take whole wheat flour, salt and oil in a bowl. Mix well.
2) Start adding little water at a time and knead into smooth and soft dough. Cover it and keep it aside till needed.
3) Now let’s make salad topping. Take onion, peppers, carrots and cabbage in a bowl.
4) Mix well and keep refrigerated till needed. Also prepare the green chutney.
5) Now we will start making the potato mixture. First make spice paste. Take dry spice powders (turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala) in a small bow.
6) Add 2 tablespoons of water and make paste.
7) Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
8) Then add chopped green chilies. Saute for a minute.
9) Now add prepared spice paste.10) Saute for only 15-30 seconds. Otherwise spices will get burn.
11) Immediately add chopped potatoes and salt.
12) Mix well. If it is too dry then sprinkle some water and cook for 2-3 minutes.
13) Lastly add chopped cilantro and mint leaves. Turn off the stove.
14) Mix well, cover and keep it aside.
15) Now make the paratha. Knead once again the rested dough to make it smooth. Divide it into 6 equal portions. Make smooth ball and flatten it between your plam. Roll it into 5-6 inch diameter circle.
16) Heat the tawa or pan on medium heat. Once hot place rolled paratha on the tawa. After few seconds, you will see few bubbles on top.
17) Flip it, cook for 30 seconds and apply some oil.
18) Flip it again and also apply some oil. Now bottom side is cooked with few brown spots.
19) Flip and again cook till another side is cooked.
20) Remove it to a plate and repeat the rest of the paratha same way.
21) Now let’s start assembling the kathi roll. If your potato stuffing is cooled down, warm it up lightly. Take one paratha on a plate.
22) Spread 2 teaspoons of chutney.
23) Add potato stuffing in the center.
24) Top with prepared salad.
25) Sprinkle chaat masala on top.
26) Now Gently seal it from the bottom and close it from the left and right sides. In short make a roll and keep one side open. Secure the top with toothpick, so roll stays intact.
27) Serve immediately. Otherwise roti will get soggy. You can serve leftover salad with sprinkle of chaat masala on side.
For More: Tips on Indian &Chinese Recipe follow and like us on Twitter &Faeboook